Visa for Finland

See all Online Open Days in Finland

Depending on your nationality, you might need a residence permit if you want to live in Finland as a student.

EU/EEA citizens do not need a visa nor a residence permit to enter Finland, but they are required to register their residence with the Finnish Immigration Service Migri if they plan on staying over 90 days. Nordic citizens do not need any type of visa to stay in Finland, but do need to register their residence at the local registry office when staying at least 6 months in the country. Additionally, both EU/EEA citizens and Nordics must register with the Finnish population system if they plan on staying for over one year in Finland.

Non-EU/EEA citizens, on the other hand, will always need a visa or student residence permit in order to be allowed to study in Finland. If you plan on staying less than 3 months (90 days), you will require a visa. This can come in handy if you need to take an entrance exam, or a short course or exchange programme for example. Ask your local Finnish embassy before you start the process, as some nationalities do not require the short-term visa. The non-EU/EAA citizens staying in Finland long-term for their studies will need a student residence permit. This permit will last you for a whole year, so make sure to apply for it as soon as you have been accepted by the university of your choice. To apply for the permit, you will need the following:

  • a valid passport,
  • an official admission letter from a Finnish university or UAS
  • enough funding at your disposal (means of support to cover your living costs, including a clarification on tuition fee or scholarship, if applicable),
  • valid insurance

You can start your student residence permit application online at, and if you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. For more information about student visas and residence permits for Finland go here: